返回列表 回復 發帖

GERRARD: EARLY DAYS BUT SIGNS ARE GOOD

Steven Gerrard believes Rafael Benitez's new-look squad has the ability to sustain a genuine challenge for this season's Barclays Premier League crown.  
The Reds have made an excellent start to the campaign, picking up ten points from the first four matches to climb to the top of the early season standings.

Although he insists it's far too early to get carried away or make any predictions on how the season will develop, the 27-year-old admits the manager's summer spending has given the club their best chance in years of seriously competing at the top of the table.

"Could it be a great season at Liverpool? I certainly hope so," he said.

"You've seen the changes at the club and the signings we've made. We've got off to a real positive start.

"The idea for us is to stay involved in the title race all the way to the end. It's early days and there's a lot of people getting carried away, especially the supporters. But we understand there's a long way to go."

Gerrard is currently focusing his thoughts on tomorrow night's Euro 2008 qualifier for England against Russia at Wembley.

Having come through Saturday's test with Israel showing no ill effects from his recent toe injury, the 27-year-old insists he's ready to drive his country towards another three points.

"I've had a few aches and pains, I had a fracture about three weeks ago and was told by the medical staff at England and Liverpool that I will get the odd ache and pain," he said.

"I've been in contact with Rafa all week. He's been telling me to be careful but he also understands how desperate I am to play in these games. He's been really good with me."
返回列表