返回列表 回復 發帖

Fergie hits out at Levy

CAPE TOWN: Sir Alex Ferguson warned Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy he faces “embarrassment” for reporting Manchester United to the Premier League on the basis of quotes in an English newspaper suggesting that the Old Trafford manager was directly courting Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov.
Ferguson, speaking after United’s 1-1 draw against Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town, also defended striker Wayne Rooney after taking the England international off to save him from a possible sending off.
But with Levy accusing Ferguson of being ‘hypocritical’ after reporting United, an accusation based on Ferguson’s anger at Real Madrid’s public pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo, the United boss claimed that Levy could end up with egg on his face as a result of his Premier League action.
“It’s going to be very embarrassing for them (Spurs) because it appears to be on the basis of a story in The Sun,” said Ferguson.
Keen tussle: Manchester United’s Carlos Tevez (right) vies for the ball with Kaizer Chiefs’ Jonathan Quartey during the Vodacom Challenge match in Cape Town on Saturday. The game ended 1-1.-AFP
“I don’t know where the hell they got those quotes from, but it certainly wasn’t from me.
“It’s embarrassing for them, but you know what Daniel Levy is like. He’s different.
“It’s something to ask (United chief executive) David Gill about because I haven’t really spoken to him about it today because I’ve been preparing for the match.
“I haven’t read it, but I’m sure our legal people will be looking at it before I do.”
United are angry at Tottenham’s move because they believe the London club acted without consulting them first on the quotes attributed to Ferguson in relation to Berbatov on Friday morning.
Kaizer Chief fans watching the game . – AFP
Meanwhile, Ferguson insisted that Rooney is learning to curb his temper, despite replacing him on 68 minutes after a booking earned for a foul on Tinashe Nengomashe.
Rooney had earlier escaped a booking for a foul on defender Onismor Bhasera, but Ferguson claimed that he had no worries over the 22-year-old’s on-field behaviour.
“Wayne’s a fighter isn’t he,” said Ferguson.
“He is a born fighter and he gets frustrated in some games. You don’t want him to take it every game, but he is getting better at controlling himself.
“He had a little spat with the right-back, but it was nothing and I don’t think it warranted anything.
“It was a really good, competitive work-out and there were some tasty tackles out there.
“But that helps you get an edge and I am very pleased with how competitive it was out there.”
A second-half header from Chris Eagles secured a draw for United after they had fallen behind to a 36th minute penalty from Ghanaian defender Jonathan Quartey.
The European champions now move on to Durban for a clash against Orlando Pirates tomorrow
返回列表