返回列表 回復 發帖

I’m Jermain man for England, says striker Defoe

LONDON: Jermain Defoe believes the time has finally come for him to step into Michael Owen’s shoes and fire the goals to help England qualify for the 2010 World Cup.
Defoe has always been regarded as Owen’s deputy in the England attack and has been forced to bide his time since making his debut for the national side four years ago.
But with Owen being left out of the squad for the opening World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia, Defoe knows he will not get a better chance to stake his claim for a permanent place in the England side.
Defoe is brimming with confidence following his move to Portsmouth back in January and is clearly benefiting from a regular place in the first-team.
The prolific forward is now hoping to transform his impressive club form onto the international stage and prove he is good enough to become a major star for England.
Defoe said: “I feel ready. I feel like it’s my time. But I won’t take anything for granted. I just want to keep learning, improving and working hard in training, which I do.
“But it’s great when you get an opportunity. Everyone wants to play. It doesn’t matter what position you’re in, you want to be on the pitch. It’s the best thing in the world to play for your country and I’m feeling confident right now. When you are playing well at club level and you do get selected for your country you seem to take that form into international football.
“You want to play in massive tournaments, you want to play for your country. I’m really looking forward to the challenge. I believe that if I just keep working hard and keep learning then hopefully I can do that.”
Defoe has been used to playing in a two-man attack throughout his career and is relishing the chance to play alongside Peter Crouch at Portsmouth this season.
But England coach Fabio Capello has already shown that he is ready to use Wayne Rooney in a position just off the striker.
Defoe admits he will have no problems adjusting to a new formation and still feels he can produce his best form if Capello continues to use that system.
He said: “That is not a problem for me because we’ve got legs in the team. We’ve got fit players in the team: players who want to get forward, get into the box and get on the end of crosses and things like that.
THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.
返回列表