返回列表 回復 發帖
12/03/2008 21:07, Report by Steve Bartram

Reserves: S'land 1 United 0

Gary Neville completed his longest competitive outing to date on his return from injury, notching a solid 73 minutes of action as the Reserves were beaten by a late penalty at Sunderland.
Chances were few and far between in a keenly contested but scrappy fixture, with perhaps the best open-play chance of the evening falling to Neville in the second half.
The United club captain was thwarted from close range by Black Cats goalkeeper Martin Fulop, however, but he will be far from disappointed with another important step on his road to recovery after almost a year out of the first team picture.
It was Neville's replacement, David Gray, who was involved in Sunderland's winner just 12 minutes after joining the match.
The Scottish defender finger-tipped Jordan Cook's header over the bar after Tomasz Kuszczak had saved Jamie Chandler's initial effort, leaving the referee no choice but to send Gray off and award a penalty.
Former Leeds defender Ian Harte slotted the spot kick home to inflict a harsh defeat on a Reds side who had enjoyed the majority of what few chances there were.
In the first half, in-form winger Chris Eagles struck Fulop's crossbar with a cross, while Danny Welbeck also stabbed over from just inside the area after outmuscling former United defender Paul McShane.
Just after the hour mark Neville saw his effort well saved by Fulop, before Chris Eagles had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside. Neville also drew the best out of his own goalkeeper, with Kuszczak forced into a smart save after the veteran defender had deflected Harte's long-range free kick.
Eagles was then denied a penalty when he tumbled under a challenge from Harte with 18 minutes remaining, but it was the former Leeds man who would have the final say with the late winner.
United: Kuszczak; Neville (Gray 73), Pique, Chester, Simpson; Cleverley, Hewson, Possebon, S Evans (Barnes 79); Eagles, Welbeck.
Subs not used: Zieler, Lea, Fagan.

14/03/2008 08:56, Report by Nick Coppack

Neville wants to go abroad

Club captain Gary Neville hopes United are paired with continental opposition in today's UEFA Champions League draw.

Eight sides remain in the competition, including Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. But while the Reds would at least know all about those teams should an all-English tie eventuate, Neville would prefer to avoid Premier League opposition.

“There’s a good chance we’ll get an English club but we’d hope to steer clear of them at this stage,” he told MUTV. “It would just help to keep things simple. We don’t want all the hype surrounding an all-English tie. I do think we’re in good form though and we’re set up nicely for the European Cup this season.”

Speaking after he completed 73 minutes for the Reds’ Reserves on Wednesday night, Neville admitted he probably wouldn’t play for the first team in the next few weeks.

He did, however, comment on the importance of United’s forthcoming fixtures.

“Next week’s a big week in the league,” he said. “[Starting at Derby this weekend] we have three games in eight days. If we win all three it puts us in a really strong position, especially because Arsenal and Chelsea kick off after we meet Liverpool next Sunday.”

14/03/2008 08:58, Report by Ben Hibbs

Scholes keeps an eye on rivals

Paul Scholes insists it’s imperative the Reds stay focused on themselves, but he admits it's difficult not to mull over potential pitfalls in the fixture list or watch United’s title rivals willing them to stumble.

Like Ryan Giggs and Edwin van der Sar, the 33-year-old has invaluable know-how at this stage of the season. With just two points separating United and league leaders Arsenal (Bolton on Wednesday is the Reds' game in hand) and Chelsea chasing hard in third, Scholes says it’s impossible not to follow every twist and turn.

“Whether or not it's right to do, you look at games coming up,” he told Red View, United's official email newsletter. “You have to focus on one game at a time, but you do tend to look ahead. You watch opponents’ matches, too.

"That’s the nature of being in a title race. It’s that time of the season where you watch every game hoping your rival drops points.”

Scholes watched anxiously, like most fans, as Arsenal struggled against the grit of Wigan, and the mud of the JJB Stadium turf.

“That was a really good result for us," he said. "The pitch was horrendous and Arsenal had just had a really tough game in Milan, but we have to be pleased with the outcome.”

Derby, United’s opponents on Saturday, are in an irrecoverable position at the foot of the table. But Scholes says there can be no let-up, regardless of the Rams' plight. “We’ve got the experience to know we must do the business. If we do that, we’ve got a great chance to win the league.”

13/03/2008 12:43, Report by Steve Bartram

Evra: Bring on the Gunners

Patrice Evra would relish being paired with Arsenal in Friday's draw for the Champions League quarter-finals.

With all four Premier League representatives still in the competition, United have a three in seven chance of being drawn against English opposition - and Evra has no fear of going up against Arsene Wenger's league leaders.

"Why not get Arsenal? I don't give a damn," he is quoted as saying in the Daily Express. "I have played every year against Arsenal. We drew 2-2 on their ground and we can't wait to play them again next month. We beat them 4-0 in the FA Cup, too."

The Gunners raised eyebrows around Europe by eliminating holders AC Milan in the first knockout round, but Evra cares not a jot. He insists that the most important thing is to stay focused, regardless of who lies in wait in next month's two-legged tie.

"You have to say they struck a big blow in knocking out the holders, but, basically, Arsenal don't scare me," he said. "The only team I am looking at for the next round of the Champions League are Manchester United.

"It would be a mistake to say we'd rather have Fenerbahce than Barcelona, say. That's when you get hit. Look at Real Madrid when they played us at Monaco in the quarter-finals in 2004.

"They were so confident they booked their hotel for the semi-final - but they hadn't reckoned on us. You have to stay concentrated."
14/03/2008 11:25, Report by Ben Hibbs

United to face Roma

United have been paired with AS Roma in the Champions League quarter finals - meaning the two sides will have met six times in 12 months.

It's the second time this season that United have been pitted against the Italians, having met in the group stages. And it's the second time in two seasons that the Giallorossi stand in Sir Alex Ferguson's way at the quarter final stage.

The Reds boss will be pleased his side are away in the first leg on Tuesday 1 April, with Luciano Spalletti bringing his men to Old Trafford for the return fixture on Wednesday 9 April.

The semi final draw was also made in Nyon on Friday. Should United get past Roma, the Reds will be away in the first leg of the last four, against either Schalke or Barcelona. The semi final first leg will be played on Wednesday 23 April, the return on Tuesday 29 April.

It means United cannot play Premier League opposition before the final in Moscow, while the winner of Arsenal and Liverpool's all-English quarter final will face either Fenerbahce or Chelsea.

Full Draw
Arsenal v Liverpool
Roma v Manchester United
Schalke v Barcelona
Fenerbahce v Chelsea

14/03/2008 08:30, Report by Ben Hibbs & Gemma Thompson

Foster handed Reds debut

Ben Foster will face Derby on Saturday as injury to Edwin van der Sar and a one-match suspension for Tomasz Kuszczak force Sir Alex Ferguson into giving the promising young goalkeeper his Reds debut ahead of schedule.

Van der Sar has failed to recover from a groin strain picked up in the FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth, while Kuszczak's red card in the clash sees him sit out the trip to Pride Park.

Foster, who had been tipped to go out on loan for the rest of the season, made a successsful return to action last week for the Reserves having spent the last eight months on the sidelines recovering from knee ligament damage.

"Edwin misses the game, so it's a debut for Ben Foster," said Sir Alex. "I had planned to send him out on loan. But Edwin is injured and Tomasz Kuszczak is suspended.

"Having been out for the best part of a year and with only one reserves game behind him, it's a big challenge for Ben. But I have no fears. He will be OK. What encourages me is that he has got fantastic presence, speed and agility.

"His rehabilitation went completely as planned and he's been in full training for about a month so there are no question marks over his fitness. What we can't tell is how match sharp he is. He's only had one game. But his assets give me confidence he'll do well."

It has taken the 24-year-old almost three years to get a shot at his United debut. After arriving at Old Trafford in the summer of 2005 from Stoke City, he was immediately farmed out to Watford for two seasons. He excelled there, eventually earning his first England cap.

Foster's lengthy loan spell away from the club and his subsequent injury
have prevented him from playing a single competitive game for the Reds, until now.

Sir Alex should also be able to call on Louis Saha against Derby County.

The Frenchman was pencilled in to start against Portsmouth last week, but he pulled up in the warm-up for United's FA Cup tie last weekend with a knee complaint.

But the Reds boss will hope to have the powerful forward at his disposal. He added: "Louis trained on Thursday and if he comes through training on Friday then he will be involved against Derby."

14/03/2008 12:28, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex eyes intriguing tie

Sir Alex Ferguson was convinced that United would draw a familiar face in the Champions League quarter finals, but he hadn't reckoned it being AS Roma, whom the Reds have met four times in the last year.

The Reds boss was sure his side would be paired with an English opponent. In actual fact, United cannot now not meet Premier League opposition until the final.

"It’s incredible," Sir Alex told ManUtd.com after the draw. "I had a strong feeling that we would draw an English side.

"It’s amazing to think that we will have played Roma six times in a year. That makes it an intriguing tie because we know a lot about Roma, but they know a lot about us."

United are keen to avoid a repeat of the off-the- field trouble that marred the Reds' visit to Rome at this stage of last season's competition. However, Sir Alex is confident that will be the case.

"Away from the football, obviously my biggest concern is the fans," he said. "During the game in Rome this season the security was much improved. But there will be even more fans travelling with us for this match. That said, I have a feeling it will be another great European tie."

Roma coach Luciano Spalletti met news of the draw with caution, but admits his side have a chance to avenge their 7-1 mauling in last season's quarter-final second leg.

“They will be very tough opponents,” he said. “Everyone here seemed to be shocked at the draw. We carry the 7-1 defeat with us and it has helped us to mature. This is a chance to put things right. They may be the stronger side, but I would say that we have a 50 per cent chance of getting through.”

14/03/2008 12:49, Report by Steve Bartram

Club plans for peaceful tie

United's club secretary Ken Ramsden is confident that lessons learned from off-field events against Roma in the last year will help Reds fans avoid trouble in next month's quarter-final meeting.
Violent scenes marred United’s quarter-final, first leg trip to the Stadio Olimpico last season and were followed by scuffles in the return leg at Old Trafford. When the sides met again in this season’s group stage, both clashes passed without anywhere near the same scale of violence, and Ramsden is confident of a further dilution in the impending third meeting.
"We had a problem a year ago,” he told Sky Sports News. “This season was nowhere near such a problem – I think the fans learned a little bit, and the Roman authorities learned a lot. We’ll still do all our work, we’ll go next week and do the full recce, but we’re hopeful that everything will work well for us and that shouldn’t be a worry for us at this stage.”
Ramsden is keen for all parties to learn from past experience, and stresses that United fans need to play their part in a peaceful tie by accepting the advice that will be on offer.
“The fans have a job to do as well,” he said. “If the fans follow the advice, they’re less likely to have a problem. That’s the key message I think, even at this early stage. If they do as they’re asked to do, they should be fine.
“Last time the fans did as we asked. Roma put on free buses from the city centre into the stadium, and those that used them had absolutely no problems at all. Of those who went to the ground independently, one or two had a problem. If we can avoid that
happening, then we’ll be fine, I’m sure.”

14/03/2008 13:31, Report by Ben Hibbs

Roma: Ones to watch

By now you should be well aware of the threat Roma pose. But just in case you haven't been paying attention, we've picked out five of the Giallorossi's key players ahead of April's Champions League quarter final showdown...

20 SIMONE PERROTTA
Position Midfielder Age 30 Nationality Italian
The Ashton-under-Lyne-born playmaker’s presence are integral to Luciano Spalletti’s style and tactics. His pinball-like box-to-box abilities make him a shoe-in for Roma’s most important games. Primarily an attacking midfielder linking the central players with the front men, he also assists in defence. The importance of his ability to break up play was felt acutely by the Italian side during last season’s 7-1 mauling at OT, which he missed due to suspension.

5 PHILIPPE MEXES
Position Defender Age 25 Nationality French
The linchpin of the back line, Mexes is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in Serie A. His biggest asset is his passion but it often gets him into trouble with referees. Mexes’ strength make him a tough and uncompromising, while his telepathic anticipation allows him to break up opposition attacks. If he lives up to his billing, the United strikers are in for a testing time.

30 MANCINI
Position Winger Age 27 Nationality Brazilian
Roma's equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo, Mancini is, like the United winger, quick, skilful and with an eye for goal. Critics accuse him of inconsistency, but such is his influence that as long as he’s fit he should start. The Brazilian can operate on either flank as well as up front and, if he is in the right mood, is sure to cause problems. He scored against the Reds in the 1-1 Group F match in Rome this season.

14 LUDOVIC GIULY
Position Midfielder Age 31 Nationality French
Good friends with Patrice Evra from their time together at Monaco, when Giuly arrived at Stadio Olimpico from Barcelona it was widely believed he would play the role of winger. But in Perrotta’s absence due to injury during pre-season, the Frenchman adopted a more central role. When Perrotta recovered, Giuly reverted to his more customary role on the flank. A small and nimble player, he possesses exceptional pace that will test United's full-backs. He can also operate up front as an emergency striker when required.

10 FRANCESCO TOTTI
Position Forward Age 31 Nationality Italian
Talisman, captain and Roma fans' hero, Francesco Totti is widely regarded as one of the most talented players of recent years. A creative, deep-lying striker, Totti is dangerous from set-pieces, possesses the ability to unlock defences with an incisive pass, and is also a significant goalscoring threat. He is yet to register in four games against the Reds. But even after 15 years in the game, his appetite for goal shows no sign of waning. He ended last season as Serie A's top scorer with 26 goals and is a major threat.

14/03/2008 13:02, Report by Adam Bostock

Fans pleased with draw

Supporters posting on our Talking Reds message board seem quietly confident about facing Roma in the Champions League quarter-finals again...

Markus_Finland
"I think it´s looking good for Man Utd, but we mustn't underestimate Roma. They knocked out Real Madrid, so let´s keep that in mind before we think of last year's 7-1 victory. I think Man Utd will win both games 2-0, and Cristiano Ronaldo will score 2 goals."

Mattutd
"The best draw we could hoped for! The Roma officials looked like they were going to cry on TV! Let's concentrate on the 1/4 final first. Let's not make the mistake of thinking about the semis... although as a footnote, I'd love to meet Liverpool in the final and give them a good beating!"

Steve Jewitt
"I know we should be confident but since we have already beaten them recently I will feel quite nervous. I feel the same for the Arsenal game in the league after beating them in the FA Cup."

Shepster
"Could have been worse, nice easy gateway into the semis to meet Barca. It'll be United v Arsenal in the final."

Carlitos21
"Boring! I might be jumping the gun but I'm already looking forward to the Barcelona tie."

Opinions on the message board do not necessarily reflect Manchester United's views.
15/03/2008 17:00, Report by Steve Bartram

Charitable Reds irk Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson admits United’s charity in front of goal is concerning him, following Saturday’s unexpectedly tight victory over Derby County.
The Reds passed up chance after chance at Pride Park, just as they did in last weekend’s FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth, and the manager concedes it is beginning to irk him.
“Last Saturday, of course, it (missing chances) knocked us out of the cup,” he told MUTV. “Today we made it hard for ourselves because we missed so many chances.
“We were really charitable - it was a lot of chances. Maybe it’s a little sticky spell, but we want to get over that. We’ve got big games, Bolton at home on Wednesday and then Liverpool on Sunday, so they’re important games coming up and we want to start taking chances.
“We are making them, and I suppose that’s the biggest bonus of all. If we keep making them, you know at some point someone’s going to suffer. We just have to keep going with that.”
Cristiano Ronaldo was repeatedly thwarted at Pride Park before eventually bagging the winning goal with 14 minutes remaining, and Sir Alex was quick to salute the ease with which the winger converted a potentially difficult finish.
“We needed something special and Ronaldo’s taken his chance very, very well. It’s not easy when it comes off the turf like that and he connected
really well to score a really important goal for us. He had to control it to keep it down, it was a very good finish.”
United host Bolton on Wednesday before Liverpool’s visit on Easter Sunday and, after omitting Rio Ferdinand, Nani, and Carlos Tevez from Saturday’s squad, Sir Alex admits there will be changes for those games.
“I think that we’ll be changing on Wednesday again, but not too much,” he said. “We wanted to win this game and be top of the league. We’ve got our game in hand, we want to get those three points and then we can look forward to a real battle against Liverpool.”
15/03/2008 17:20, Report by James Tuck

Foster feels part of the team

Ben Foster admitted it was a “fantastic” feeling to finally make his first-team debut in the narrow 1-0 victory at Derby.
The goalkeeper was thrust into action at Pride Park due to the enforced absence of Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz  Kuszczak, just a week after returning from an eight-month injury lay-off himself.
The 24-year-old, who joined the Reds in 2005 but spent the last two seasons on loan at Watford, told MUTV: “I finally feel like a United player now!
“I’ve been here nearly three years and it’s good to finally get on the pitch for the first team in a competitive game.
“I’m not one for nerves – I just take things in my stride and try not to think about things too much. It’s a big thing to come back from injury and to be thrown straight into the first team, but I thoroughly enjoyed it – though it was a bit harder than I thought!”
Many pundits predicted a cakewalk for United against rock-bottom Derby, but the Reds spurned chance after chance and would have fallen behind in the first half had Foster not made two fine saves from Kenny Miller.
The keeper added: “The first one was a reaction save to my left and Kenny Miller was through one-on-one for the second, but I stopped it and I went in at half-time feeling good.
“The second half was the same as the first half – we looked the more dangerous team but they had some chances as well.”
Cristiano Ronaldo finally broke the deadlock against the battling Rams after 75 minutes, slotting home Wayne Rooney’s cross as United moved ahead of Arsenal at the top of the table.
Bolton are next up at Old Trafford on Wednesday and, despite his assured debut, Foster does not expect to retain his place if Van der Sar recovers from a groin injury.
“I wouldn’t have thought the manager would have too much of a dilemma,” said Foster. “Edwin’s probably going to be fit for the Bolton or Liverpool game and I’ve no qualms about him going straight back in.
“He’s been fantastic this season and if I were him I’d be pretty disappointed if someone came in for one game and took my spot!”
15/03/2008 16:50, Report by Steve Bartram

Report: Derby 0 United 1

United made heavy weather of it, but procured three more precious points against Derby County after Cristiano Ronaldo struck a late winner at Pride Park.

Paul Jewell's rock-bottom Rams frustrated the Reds all afternoon as a string of chances went begging, before Ronaldo was on hand with 14 minutes remaining to stab home from close range.

The winger's intervention spared United the embarrassment of dropping points against a side with just one league win to their name all season and, but for two fine saves from debutant Ben Foster, the hosts could even have snatched all three points.

An afternoon of frustration looked far from likely in the early stages as United dominated. Ryan Giggs, making his first appearance in four matches, almost scored within seconds of kick-off as he rose above the home defence, but Rams keeper Roy Carroll managed to plunge to his left and grasp the ball just in front of his line.

The former United goalkeeper was helpless two minutes later as Evra slid Ronaldo on the left side of the area, only for the winger to lash his left-footed effort off target. Ronaldo's mood was not helped by the attentions of Darren Moore, who earned the first yellow card after six minutes for raking his studs down the Portuguese star's left leg.

Derby conceding a string of corners as they clung anxiously to parity. The hosts had the woodwork to thank after 10 minutes when Ronaldo's low shot curled onto Carroll's right-hand post, while Anderson came within close moments later with a drilled effort.
Giggs then had another chance after 20 minutes but, having half-rounded Carroll, the veteran winger could only skew his shot wide under the attentions of Dean Leacock.

The Reds' pressure was incessant, and more really should have come of a break after half an hour, but Ronaldo underhit his pass with Rooney free in the centre of the park. Moments later, Carroll had to be at his best to claw away Ronaldo's outside-of-the-boot effort.

With last week's smash-and-grab defeat to Portsmouth still fresh in the mind, United were all too aware of the cost of spurning so many chances - a price that was almost reaffirmed by Derby shortly before half-time.

Foster, a virtual spectator throughout, twice denied Rams striker Kenny Miller with superb reaction stops - first tipping away a close-range volley, then brilliantly turning the Scot's low shot around the post.

Those quickfire efforts brought the simmering Pride Park crowd to the boil, but both Rooney and Ronaldo came close again as the half ended as it began - with United on top, but unable to make their dominance count.

After a sluggish start to the second half, the Reds' tale of frustration resumed - particularly for Ronaldo. His long-range free kick was parried away by Carroll, who then blocked the winger's point blank header from the subsequent corner.

Truth be told, clear cut chances were few and far between. Sir Alex Ferguson threw on Louis Saha, Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher at the expense of Park, Scholes and Anderson in a bid
to gain a vital breakthrough. Ronaldo again came close in the 70th minute, dragging his shot just wide from fractionally inside the area, before United finally found the net six minutes later.

Rooney, with a hint of offside surrounding his position, was released by O'Shea down the left wing and pulled back a cross for Ronaldo. Despite an awkward bounce, the winger managed to contort himself to volley down and past the exposed Carroll.

The goal sparked scenes of utter, unabashed relief from United players, staff and fans alike. Ronaldo had been repeatedly frustrated all afternoon, and his joy at finally nudging the Reds ahead was near-tangible.

There were no more scares as a deflated Derby side played out the remainder of the match with few ideas, and Carroll had to be alert again to thwart Ronaldo.

So there was nothing like the anticipated avalanche of goals, just the one was enough. Win pretty or win ugly - at this stage of the season, all that matters is the three points.

Team line-ups

Derby County: Carroll; Edworthy (Todd 55), Moore, Leacock, McEveley; Sterjovski (Robert 80), Savage, Jones, Lewis; Earnshaw (Villa 76), Miller
Subs not used: Price, Ghaly
Booked: Moore, Jones, Savage

Manchester United: Foster; O'Shea, Brown, Vidic, Evra; Park (Saha 62), Scholes (Carrick 62), Anderson (Fletcher 72), Giggs; Rooney, Ronaldo.
Subs not used: Heaton, Hargreaves.

15/03/2008 16:25, Report by James Tuck

League: Arsenal snatch draw

Kolo Toure rescued a late 1-1 draw for Arsenal at home to Middlesbrough – but it wasn't enough to take the Gunners back above United in the table.
The Ivory Coast defender headed home Cesc Fabregas' corner four minutes from time to cancel out former Gunner Jeremie Aliadiere's 25th-minute opener for Boro, who had Mido sent off late on for a reckless tackle on Gael Clichy.
The result means Arsene Wenger's men are now behind United on goal difference at the top, with Chelsea three points behind in third. John Terry’s first goal in 19 months was enough to give the Blues a 1-0 win over battling Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.
Terry powered home a header from Frank Lampard’s corner in the 10th minute to keep his side in contention for the title.
Carlo Cudicini superbly kept out Andy Reid’s free-kick and Kenwyne Jones missed a wonderful chance from close range as the struggling Black Cats threatened to claim at least a share of the spoils.
Liverpool recovered from the shock of conceding an early goal to defeat Reading 2-1 – their fifth Barclays Premier League win in a row.
The Royals took the lead in the sixth minute at Anfield when Marek Matejovsky fired his first goal for the club from 20 yards.
But Liverpool were back on level terms a quarter-of-an-hour later, Javier Mascherano opening his own
goal account by smashing home a stunning 25-yarder after cutting inside Stephen Hunt.
And Fernando Torres’ unmarked header three minutes into the second half – his ninth goal in six games – consigned Reading to defeat and ensured Liverpool consolidated fourth place in the table.
West Ham United claimed a late 2-1 home win over Blackburn Rovers thanks to a goal from substitute Freddie Sears on his first-team debut.
Roque Santa Cruz (19) put Rovers ahead with a diving header, but Dean Ashton equalised five minutes before the break when he slotted home from 12 yards.
And with 10 minutes left, 18-year-old Sears ended the Hammers’ run of three successive 4-0 defeats when he nodded in after Brad Friedel could only parry his initial shot.
Portsmouth leapfrogged Aston Villa into sixth in the table after a 2-0 win at Fratton Park.
Jermain Defoe lobbed Scott Carson from the edge of the box to open the scoring after 10 minutes. And goalkeeper Carson was culpable for Pompey’s second seven minutes before the break, his clearance hitting Nigel Reo-Coker and rebounding into his own net.
Both teams ended the game with 10 men, Sulley Muntari and Olof Mellberg sent off for second yellow cards in separate incidents late on.

17/03/2008 07:48, Report by Steve Bartram

Foster's bow impresses Boss

Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with the performance of debutant goalkeeper Ben Foster in Saturday's narrow victory over Derby County.

The 24-year-old made two crucial stops to deny Rams striker Kenny Miller with the score at 0-0, laying the foundations for Cristiano Ronaldo to bag three vital points for United.

Foster's United debut has been a long time coming, but Sir Alex feels a bright future beckons for club and country.

"It was an excellent performance," the manager told MUTV. "In his debut in a competitive game for United, he showed what England are going to enjoy for the next 10 years. I think he’ll be England’s goalkeeper without question.

"He’s an absolutely outstanding potential and he’s young. He’s not had a lot of football, and today he showed two great saves, his distribution, his speed off the line and it was really a first class performance."

Although Edwin van der Sar is likely to be rested again, Foster's performance at Pride Park and Tomasz Kuszczak's return from a one-match ban gives Sir Alex a dilemma as to who should start between the sticks for Wednesday's visit of Bolton.
返回列表