返回列表 回復 發帖

10/10/2007 10:33, Report by Ben Hibbs

Trio nominated for FIFA award

Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez have made FIFA's shortlist for the World Player of the Year award.

AC Milan's Brazilian midfielder Kaka is being touted as the favourite to win the prestigious accolade, although he faces stiff competition, particularly from the likes of United's very own Cristiano Ronaldo, who was instrumental in the Reds' title success last season.

The successor to last year's winner, Italy's inspirational defender Fabio Cannavaro, will be announced at the FIFA World Player Gala 2007 on 17 December in Zurich.

World Player of the Year shortlist: Buffon (Juventus, Italy), Cannavaro (Real Madrid, Italy), Cech (Chelsea, Czech Rep), Ronaldo (United, Portugal), Deco (Barcelona, Portugal), Drogba (Chelsea, Ivory Coast), Essien (Chelsea, Ghana), Eto'o (Barcelona, Cameroon), Gattuso (Milan, Italy), Gerrard (Liverpool, England), Henry (Barcelona, France), Juninho (Lyon, Brazil), Kaka (Milan, Brazil), Klose (Bayern Munich, Germany), Lahm (Bayern Munich, Germany), Lampard (Chelsea, England), Marquez (Barcelona, Mexico), Messi (Barcelona, Argentina), Nesta (Milan, Italy), Pirlo (Milan, Italy), Ribery (Bayern Munich, France), Riquelme (Villarreal, Argentina), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Brazil), Rooney (United, England), Terry (Chelsea, England), Tevez (United, Argentina), Thuram (Barcelona, France), Torres (Liverpool, Spain), Van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid, Holland), Vieira (Inter Milan, France).
10/10/2007 10:02, Report by Steve Bartram

Reds duo 'best in Europe'

John O'Shea feels that, in Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, United are blessed with Europe's finest central defensive partnership.
The Reds' defence has made a rock-solid start to the season, conceding just two goals in eight Premier League games, and O'Shea feels Vidic and Ferdinand have been central to that record.
"It's a pretty happy camp at the moment, especially with the defensive situation with the clean sheets," O'Shea is quoted as telling the Manchester Evening News.
"Rio and Nemanja are definitely a major factor to it - you cannot ask for two better central defenders in Europe, in my opinion. I hope they will stay clear of injury because they have been a major influence on keeping the clean sheets."
The backline's miserly form laid the foundations for a title challenge during a start to the season in which goals have been hard to come by, until last weekend's thumping of Wigan.
And, with skipper Gary Neville set to make his comeback for the Reserves this week, O'Shea feels United's defence can continue to keep opponents at arm's length.
"For a defender, keeping a clean sheet is like a striker scoring a couple of goals," he said. "We hope we can keep it going. With the attacking quality we have, we know if we keep a clean sheet then nine times out of 10 we are going to win the game."
10/10/2007 15:23, Report by Steve Bartram

Transfer Rumours: Oct 07

Although the transfer window will not open again until January, a number of players are already being linked with mid-season moves to Old Trafford.

Following rumours that United are set to rival Arsenal for the signature of defender Miguel Veloso, Sporting Lisbon have denied that the Reds have first option to sign the Portuguese U21 international.

"Manchester United do not have a preference on him (Veloso) or any other players of Sporting Lisbon," said a club spokesman, following predictions that Veloso would follow former Sporting prospects Ronaldo and Nani to Old Trafford.

Meanwhile, Monaco striker Jeremy Menez is tipped to be at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war between United and Liverpool, who have both been alerted by the 20-year-old striker's displays this season.
According to the tabloids, United are definitely looking at the younger end of the market, with 17-year-old Nigerian starlet Macauley Chrisantus also linked.
The striker starred in Nigeria's triumphant World Under 17 championships, and is expected to leave his current club Abuja in the near future, with all Europe's top clubs allegedly interested.

October's Transfer Rumours

In: Miguel Veloso (Defender)
Jeremy Menez (Striker)
Macauley Chrisantus (Striker)

Out: None
10/10/2007 09:05, Report by Ben Hibbs

Simpson a ready-made Red

The coach that helped guide Gary Neville through United's youth ranks says the Reds have a long-term successor for the club skipper.

Danny Simpson was impressive against Wigan Athletic on Saturday, complimenting a solid defensive display with an assist for Wayne Rooney, who capped off a 4-0 victory. The 20-year-old right-back clearly has a promising future. However, Eric Harrison, who coached the famed class of '92, says Neville will take some displacing.

"If Gary stays clear of injuries then I see him playing past his mid-30s," Harrison told the Manchester Evening News. "It's going to be a big battle for Danny, but at least the manager knows he has someone there with the potential and character to challenge Gary."

In years to come, Harrison believes Simpson has the attributes to make the grade at Old Trafford. "He is very similar to Gary in attitude," added Eric. "Gary wasn't as naturally talented or technically gifted as his contemporaries like David Beckham and Paul Scholes, but he was captain at 16 because he was made of the right stuff. He worked tirelessly on his game, grafting to become better technically and he succeeded by hard work.

"Danny is the same. He was a decent player as a young kid but not technically the best. But he listens, learns and it sinks in with him. His improvement has been tremendous. I don't know whether the coaches at United had question marks over him but when you see a young player work hard, take things on board and progress like Danny has you tick his box."
Papers: Ron's Euro mission
11/10/2007 07:46

Ronaldo: My Euro dream
Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is more intent on winning the Champions League with Manchester United than lifting the World Player of the Year award. The 22-year-old Portuguese could top last season's Player and Young Player of the Year awards by following the likes of Ronaldinho and Zinedine Zidane in scooping the FIFA trophy. But Ronaldo said: "It's always nice to be recognised individually but the most important thing is winning things as a team with Manchester United. "The priority for us this season is the Champions League and retaining the title."
Darren Lewis, Daily Mirror
Meanwhule, AC Milan star Kaka has nominated England as one of the two destinations which could tempt him if he ever decides to leave Italy and says United and Arsenal would enter the equation - probably ahead of Chelsea or Liverpool.

Ex-United keeper Mark Bosnich insists he still has time to resurrect his career.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
08/10/2007 15:22, Report by Ben Hibbs

Neville ready to return

Reds skipper Gary Neville could make his long-awaited return to action this week for United's Reserves.

Brian McClair's side take on Liverpool on Thursday and the 32-year-old has been pencilled in to play for some much-needed match practice.

Neville has been in training for over two weeks now, but he hasn't played since March. An ankle injury, which required surgery in the summer, kept him out at the end of the last term, while this season calf and thigh injuries have prevented him turning out for the first-team.

"We're hoping to use Gary against Liverpool Reserves this week. That's the plan," says Sir Alex Ferguson. "He's getting better and he's improving all the time.

"He's over his last injury and he has been training now for over two weeks and he is at a good level," added the boss. "He's been out for so long that he needs games now and hopefully he can start on Thursday. It will be a good introduction for him game-wise."

You can watch the match live and exclusively on MUTV. Coverage, including match build-up starts at 18:30 BST, with highlights available on MUTV Online from Friday

10/10/2007 08:26, Report by Steve Bartram

Robbo: Eagles will stay

Former United captain Bryan Robson admits it is unlikely he will be able to take Reds winger Chris Eagles on loan to Sheffield United.
The Blades manager has spoken of his admiration for the 21-year-old before, and had been tipped to make a loan move after United's Carling Cup exit to Coventry.
However, Robson told the Sheffield Star: "Eagles is a very good player, but I don't think Sir Alex will be letting him out.
"Hopefully I can bring a few loan players in. You always keep working on that, you can always improve.
"You can stand around all day and talk about the players you want to bring in. Like I've always said, if I've got something 100 per cent solid then I'll let the fans know."

Following last month's humbling against the Sky Blues, Sir Alex Ferguson conceded that he would have to loan out a host of his younger players in order to give them senior action.

While Lee Martin and Darron Gibson have since joined Plymouth and Wolves respectively, it seems that Eagles will remain part of the Reds' senior squad.
09/10/2007 09:33, Report by Ben Hibbs

Wolves snatch Gibson

United's young Irish midfielder Darron Gibson is set to join Wolverhampton Wanderers on loan.

The 19-year-old Republic of Ireland international, who will stay with Mick McCarthy's Championship side until January, made his United debut a day after his 18th birthday in the Carling Cup win over Barnet in October 2005.

He has not experienced any further first-team football since, but he has been a regular and impressive performer in the Reds' reserves.

McCarthy believes Gibson, an attacking midfielder, will add depth to his promotion-chasing team's midfield department.

"Darron is a talented midfielder that will bring us real competition for places in central midfield," McCarthy told the official Wolves website. "He is only 19 but he is a good player and has a good range of passing."

Gibson could make his debut against Charlton Athletic on Saturday 20 October.
Player StatsAge: 19
Born: Derry, Northern Ireland
Appearances: 1
Goals: 0

Did you know?
Darron was voted United's Young Player of the Year for the 2005/06 season.
11/10/2007 09:43, Report by Ben Hibbs

Neville misses out

Gary Neville has not been named in Brian McClair's Reserves squad to face Liverpool tonight.

United's captain has not played for the first-team since damaging ankle ligaments against Bolton on 17 March last season.

The 32-year-old, who has been training for over a fortnight, has been troubled by calf and thigh problems this season - a frustrating follow-up to a successful ankle operation in the summer.

But he had appeared to be well on the road to recovery as Sir Alex Ferguson pencilled the defender in to face Liverpool to boost his match fitness.

Neville's next opportunity for Reserve team action isn't until Thursday 1 November, when the second string take on Stockport County in the Manchester Senior Cup.

McClair has named a young side to face Liverpool, with David Gray, Kieran Lee and Dong Fangzhuo the only players boasting first-team experience.

United team: Zieler; Gray, R Eckersley, Chester, A Eckersley; Lee, Cleverley, Hewson, Barnes; Dong, Fagan.
Subs from: S Evans, Woods, C Evans, Drinkwater, Welbeck.

11/10/2007 11:24, Report by Steve Bartram

Rooney raring for comeback

Wayne Rooney is relishing a return to international football this weekend as England prepare for a vital double-bill of Euro 2008 qualifiers.
The United striker missed last month's victories over Israel and Russia through injury, and he is itching to reclaim his place alongside Michael Owen against Estonia on Saturday.
"Michael and Emile (Heskey) did brilliantly (in England's last two qualifiers) but it spurs you on really," Rooney told BBC Radio Five Live. "It makes you want to do better.
"I'm excited and I can't wait for the game. I've watched the games but I'd rather be playing. I haven't really liked sitting out the last few games."
Aside from England's World Cup 2006 draw with Sweden, in which Owen damaged knee ligaments, Rooney and the Newcastle striker have not played in tandem since November 2005, when both scored in a 3-2 friendly win over Argentina.
Despite that lack of practice together, Rooney is confident that he and Owen can provide the goals to help Steve McClaren's side take a huge step towards next summer's tournament in Austria and Switzerland.
"If we play together I'm sure we'll do the job," said Rooney. "We haven't played together since the World Cup and that was for one minute. It's different at club level, because you are alongside the same players every week but I'm sure we will make it work."

11/10/2007 13:08, Report by Ben Hibbs
Tevez and Ronny star in Trickbox

Surprise, surprise, Cristiano Ronaldo is top of the bill in our Trickbox video, this week with a seemingly impossible pass... whilst sat on the floor!

The 22-year-old was in fine form against Wigan, scoring twice in the 4-0 win, but he also had time for a few party pieces for the Old Trafford crowd.

However, he wasn't the only one. Carlos Tevez got in on the act, too, with a sharp turn and sweeping cross-field pass.

Watch the latest video now, for free, on MUTV Online.

In next week's Trickbox, we'll look back on some of the best tricks from games earlier in the season.

If you see something from a game that you think should be in Trickbox, email us at [email protected].
11/10/2007 19:48, Report by Steve Bartram

Reserves: United 1 Liverpool 1

Kieran Lee headed a late equaliser as United grabbed a point from an ill-tempered affair with local rivals Liverpool at the Victoria Stadium.
United burst into life in the final 20 minutes of what had been a largely uneventful match, with Lee’s fine header cancelling out Jay Spearing’s first-half opener for the visitors.
It had been widely expected that Gary Neville would step up his rehabilitation against the Merseysiders, but the club captain was left out of the Reds’ squad entirely.
In his absence, United’s young team took on an even more youthful look, with Academy star Danny Welbeck making the step up to the bench and Chris Fagan coming into the starting XI.
Liverpool’s traditional cautious approach made for a stifling atmosphere, but it was United who almost took the lead after 20 minutes when Sam Hewson’s shot was blocked by Lee.
Sebastian Leto then drew a smart save from Ron-Robert Zieler in response, and Liverpool continued to enjoy the better of the opening half until they took the lead through Spearing.
Leto’s cross found Lucas Leiva inside the area, and his neat backheel picked out Spearing, who fired through the legs of James Chester and inside Zieler’s post.
The Liverpool skipper then saw a shot superbly tipped over by Zieler as the United defence backed
off, but it was the Reds who began the second 45 minutes on top.
Despite plenty of pressure, however, it was the 83rd minute before the hosts finally drew level. Lee fed Michael Barnes on the left-wing, and his first-time cross was headed past goalkeeper Charles Itandje.
Moments later, United were only denied the lead by an outstanding save from Itandje, who made a superb reflex stop to keep out Michael Barnes’ fierce near-post drive.
Both sides then failed to apply finishing touches to close-range chances – Dong for United, Lindfield for Liverpool - before Lucas’ glancing header gently bounced against the United upright in the game’s final chance.
United: Zieler, Gray, Eckersley R, Chester, Eckersley A; Cleverley (Drinkwater 73), Lee, Hewson, Barnes, Dong, Fagan (Welbeck 63).
Subs not used: S Evans, Woods, C Evans.

Barclays Premier Reserve League
Victoria Stadium, Thurs 11 October

MANCHESTER UNITED 1
Lee (83)

LIVERPOOL
Spearing (30)

12/10/2007 16:00, Report by Nick Coppack

Reds' fixture changes
The Premier League have announced changes to two of United's December fixtures, including the Reds' highly anticipated clash with Northwest rivals Liverpool.

United were due to welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Saturday 1 December but will now face Lawrie Sanchez's men on Monday 3 December (20:00 GMT kick-off, live on Setanta Sports).

Meanwhile, United's visit to Anfield – originally scheduled for Saturday 15 December – has also been rearranged, and will now take place a day later, on Sunday 16 December (13:30 GMT kick-off, live on Sky Sports).
12/10/2007 11:19, Report by Nick Coppack

Ronaldo nets poll win

United fans have backed Cristiano Ronaldo to continue his 2006/07 form and top the Reds' scoring charts come the end of the season.

More than 7000 ManUtd.com visitors participated in the poll, which saw the Portuguese winger blitz the field with a staggering 54 per cent of the votes.

Ronaldo scored 23 times last season and has already found the net four times during the current campaign, inlcuding one against former club Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, England international Wayne Rooney, who also scored 23 times last season, placed second in the poll with 30 per cent of the votes, while summer signing Carlos Tevez rounded out the top three. Tevez took some time before netting his first United goal but has now scored twice in his last three league appearances.

Poll Results:Who will finish top scorer in 2007/08?

54% – Cristiano Ronaldo
30% – Wayne Rooney
13% – Carlos Tevez
  2% – Louis Saha
  1% – Other
12/10/2007 07:20, Report by Gemma Thompson

Simmo staying focused

Danny Simpson is refusing to get carried away, despite an impressive league debut against Wigan during which he set up United's fourth goal.

The 20-year-old entered the fray just before the half-hour after injuries to Nemanja Vidic and John O'Shea forced a reshuffle in the United defence.

Simpson looked completely at home in the right-back slot and capped his display with a fine centre for Wayne Rooney to head home eight minutes from time. It was a hugely proud day for Simpson, but he insists the real hard work is still to come.

"Just because there might be a bit of hype about you after a couple of games for the first team it doesn’t mean you’ve made it," he told ManUtd.com.

"You’ve almost got to work even harder when that happens to prove that you can stay in there.

"I was really pleased that I was able to set up Wayne for the fourth goal. All the lads came running over to me and it was just a really mad feeling, especially as all my family were at Old Trafford that day.

"To be playing with the likes of Ronaldo, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs – players you’ve grown up watching – was just amazing.

"And having Rio [Ferdinand] next to me in the defence was brilliant. He never stopped talking to me and helped me so much with my positioning and marking."

Simpson knows he faces a tough task in trying to gain a regular run in the side, but believes this season's influx of new players has really benefited the team.

"The addition of the new players in the summer has meant there is a good group of young lads at the club now and it makes training really good fun and exciting," he said.

"There’s good competition for places because everyone is working hard to get their chance. That can only help the team."

A full interview with Danny Simpson and fellow starlet Chris Eagles will be in the December issue of Inside United. Order your copy now.
返回列表