返回列表 回復 發帖
Berbatov agent speaks out

Dimitar Berbatov's agent has told the Bulgarian media that he is convinced United are interested in signing the Tottenham striker.

Reports in the British tabloids on Saturday suggested that United had made an official bid for the 27-year-old forward, after months of stories linking the Bulgarian with a move to Old Trafford.

When asked about the speculation in an interview with Bulgarian radio station Darik, agent Emil Danchev did little to dampen the speculation.

"I know for certain Manchester United have shown interest in signing Dimitar Berbatov," said Danchev. "But I'm not entitled to make any more comments."

Sir Alex Ferguson revealed earlier in July that he is aiming to delve into the transfer market for at least new one face this summer, and is 'looking at one or two things.'
Fletch focused on United

Despite reports linking him with a summer transfer, Darren Fletcher is fully focused on upping his first team involvement at Old Trafford next season.

The Scottish midfielder spent a sizeable portion of last season on the sidelines, largely through injury, and has allegedly attracted interest from Everton.

Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted that Fletcher remains very much part of the first-team picture at United, and the 25-year-old wants to force his way into regular action.

"To play in more matches than last season, that's obviously the target each season," he said. "You do your bit, you're patient and you've got to wait for your chance. I'll be ready to take my chance when it comes and I'll hopefully play a few more matches."

Just as Fletcher is nonplussed by talk of a move away from Old Trafford, he is totally unfazed by the potential of new arrivals, saying: "I don't think much needs to change but fresh faces are always good.

"Competition for places is always going to be at Manchester United. It's something you've got to rise to."
Boss backs young guns

Sir Alex Ferguson admits United's young fringe players have a golden opportunity to impress him during pre-season.

The Reds' manager handed starts to Ben Amos and Lee Martin in Saturday's friendly win at Aberdeen, and introduced substitutes Danny Simpson, Chris Eagles, Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Fraizer Campbell, Sam Hewson and Gary Woods.

At a time when Sir Alex is deciding how best to further their footballing education, he admits the pre-season calendar is a key period in their burgeoning careers.

"They're all good players," he told MUTV. "They've got good potential and some of them will go on loan, some have come back from their loan periods and will now have to push on and show that improvement that's going to get them into the first team squad."
Robbo tips Ronaldo to stay

Former United captain Bryan Robson is convinced that Cristiano Ronaldo will remain at Old Trafford, despite Real Madrid's ongoing interest in the player.

Robson, now a club ambassador at Old Trafford, recalls a time in his own Reds career when he caught the eye of high-profile foreign clubs, and he expects Ronaldo to snub such overtures, just as he did.

"In 1983 I was wanted by three Italian clubs - AC Milan, Sampdoria and Juventus," Robson told the Daily Star. "Transfer fees weren't as high then but it would have been a world-record fee - only for United to price me out of a move.

"It was a similar situation to the one Cristiano is in now, in that United wouldn't let me go for what would have been a world-record fee.

"I was happy to stay and I think Ronaldo is happy at the club too. He might have small doubts but I think all the media hype and what has been coming out of Spain has really blown the situation out of proportion.

"And I see Ronaldo, once he is over his ankle operation, being part of the team."

United have continually insisted that Ronaldo will not be leaving Old Trafford, despite a summer of speculation over his future.
One eye on the future

Club captain Gary Neville has revealed that he is already contemplating a life in coaching - but admits that it pales in comparison to actually playing.

The 33-year-old lined up in the Reds' pre-season opener at Aberdeen on Saturday and, although he is relishing being back in action after his lengthy injury layoff, a future on the other side of the touchline is already in the back of his mind.

"I have done my coaching badges in the summer - along with Ryan Giggs and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer," Neville told the Daily Star. "But although the two weeks were good fun and hard work, it doesn't replace actually playing.

"What it did do was make me think about the fact I hadn't played for more than 12 months and that I've got to make the most of the next season and play for as long as I possibly can."

The Reds' skipper has a year remaining on his contract and, regardless of what the future holds, he is intent on making the most of the coming season in order to prolong his playing career at Old Trafford.

"I'm into the last year of my contract, so I've got to do my best and try to maintain my existence at United because this is the only club I want to play football for," he said.

"It's difficult as regards the future because at the age of 33 or 34 you have to start thinking about what you are going to do once you stop.

"At that age you feel like you are about to fall off a cliff because there's nothing you can do to replicate the last 15 years. You have to try to find something. Hopefully I can keep that at bay for two years."
Dawn of a new era for Ole

Football may have just emerged from its summer hiatus, but for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer there's been little rest. A new role as United Reserves manager, coaching courses at Lilleshall, the birth of his third child - Elijah - and further planning towards his testimonial in August...

I take it you could call the last few weeks ‘hectic’?
[Puffs his cheeks] A little! I had a coaching course at Lilleshall, got the Reserves job, had a baby… so it’s quite busy at the moment. I might get one Friday night off, if Di Law (from Ole’s testimonial committee) lets me! I’m not complaining. I wanted the coaching course, the Reserves job, this testimonial – and, of course, the baby – so you have to be prepared to work for them.

Are you looking forward to your testimonial?
The thing I’m thinking about most is whether I’m going to last and do myself justice on the pitch. I’m a bit worried about that, but it’ll be a good day for my family. I’ve spoken to Roy [Keane] about his testimonial and he said it’s a great family day, so from that aspect I can’t wait.

How is your knee these days?
Not good! It’ll be OK for 20 minutes with a little bit of help. But I’ve not played football since I’ve retired, so it’s hard keeping fit. You have to be on the bike every day, which is not the most exciting thing to do, and it’s hard work. Not being able to play football is something you come to terms with gradually, though, and I’m lucky to have a job at such a great club to get me through it.

You’ve got genuine hero status among United fans, are you looking forward to saying goodbye, as a player at least?
That’s the main thing that I’m looking forward to, and I hope everyone has a good day. I’d like to think everyone will have a day they can remember, particularly with the Premier League and Champions League trophies being there. I’ve been part of testimonials before and they’ve all been great occasions – hopefully this won’t be any different. Don’t forget, the fans have a great team to celebrate after last season’s achievements as well. It’s not only a player, there’s also a great team to pay tribute to.

And the fans can help a good cause with some of the proceeds going to UNICEF…
I always say football is the most important thing that is not important in life. As a footballer, you can create memories and happiness. If you build a school you can help change lives.

Are you looking forward to your new role as Reserves boss, and what sort of manager are you – are you a hard task master?
I believe that you have to be because what was good enough for me when I was 18 or 19 isn’t good enough for them nowadays. I’ve learned so much about what I should have done when I was that age subsequently. I think you need to push them a bit, but the boys want to be pushed as well. It’s not a doddle being a professional footballer, so I think they’ll have to shed their fair share of sweat. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a great challenge.

Have you worked with the Reserves before?
I did a few sessions last year and some with the youth team. I asked Choccy (Brian McClair) sometimes if I could have the Reserves to work with, to challenge myself because when you’re doing coaching courses, you don’t want to go in cold. I’ve enjoyed that and now they’re my responsibility, so that’s a better challenge as well.

Have you had advice from anyone?
I’ve spoken to Choccy, and Rene [Meulensteen] has been my mentor for years now. I’ve learned a lot from him on how to run teams and how to coach. We talk while we’re at Carrington and on the phone even during holidays. We have similar views on football and philosophy, which is nice.

You have three pre-season friendlies, then a Lancashire Senior Cup final against Liverpool to look forward to – is that pressure?
I have much to look forward to. Obviously a final is a big game for any young player, but when it’s against Liverpool it’s more special. But getting the team to the final is Choccy’s achievement so maybe he should take over for that game. I’ll ask him what he wants to do. The Reserves did well in the cups last year. They know now that every game against these teams is a shop window for them, either for the Gaffer to see or for other managers maybe to have them on loan. They’re just at a great stage in their careers and I’m really looking forward to working with them all.

Tickets for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s testimonial against Espanyol on Saturday 2 August are now available on general sale. Prices start at £20, with 50% concessions available to under-16s and over-65s.
Boss backs Reds to be ready

As United prepare to fly out to South Africa to compete in the Vodacom Challenge, Sir Alex Ferguson is confident the trip will yield important benefits.

The Barclays Premier League champions leave Manchester on Thursday afternoon and will touch down in Cape Town, where they meet Kaizer Chiefs at the Newlands Stadium on Saturday 19 July.

Orlando Pirates pose the next challenge, in Durban’s ABSA Stadium on Tuesday 22 July, before the Reds face one of the sides again in the final at Loftus Stadium, Tshwane on Saturday 26 July.

United’s pre-season preparations will then take the squad to Nigeria, where they’ll play Portsmouth in Abuja on Sunday 27 July.

Last time United travelled to South Africa for the competition, in 2006, the Reds lost to Kaizer Chiefs on penalties in the final. Sir Alex is expecting this year’s tournament to prove just as taxing.

“The games in South Africa aren’t easy games,” he told MUTV. “It’s a good, competitive level, so that should bring us on a good deal.

“I think by the time we get to the start of the season we’ll be really ready.”

You can watch all United’s pre-season football on MUTV or MUTV Online.

United in Africa

Sat 19 July – v Kaizer Chiefs
Tue 22 July – v Orlando Pirates
Sat 26 July – v Chiefs/Pirates
Sun 27 July – v Portsmouth

Follow the games on MUTV
Carrick raring to go

Michael Carrick says the Reds are champing at the bit ahead of the new season and are fully determined to maintain the high standards they set last time round.

The double-winning squad - minus the Euro 2008 contingent - returned to training at the start of the month to begin their rigorous pre-season regime.

Those preparations will continue in earnest when Sir Alex and his players fly out to South Africa on Thursday to take part in the Vodacom Challenge, and Carrick is confident the Reds will be in prime condition for the start of the new season.

"It was nice to have a break but I was ready to come back," the midfielder told MUTV.

"We start from square one and have to do it all over again. It will be a long season once more, but we are all up for the challenge."

United kicked-off their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 victory at Aberdeen on Saturday thanks to goals from Wayne Rooney and Carrick who slotted home from the penalty spot.

"It is always nice to get off the mark early and score and I hope to take a few more penalties if they become available," he admitted. "It was all about the fitness and getting the performance that little bit sharper and now we move on to the next game in South Africa.

"Obviously we are nowhere near our peak but that is what pre-season games are for. We have trained hard but the games are where you find your edge."
Poyet rules out OT switch

Tottenham's assistant manager, Gus Poyet, has dismissed rumours tipping him to replace Carlos Queiroz as United's number two.

The Uruguayan has a burgeoning reputation for his work as an assistant to Juande Ramos at White Hart Lane, and became one of the tabloids' early contenders to take Queiroz's place once the Portuguese tactician agreed to leave Old Trafford.

Those whispers were news to Poyet, however, and he was quick to demonstrate his commitment to Tottenham when telling the club's official website: "It's nothing, it was a surprise to read it.

"I want to stay at Spurs, I want to stay with this manager, this group of players and this club because I'm very happy.

"When you are in England and you are lucky enough to be with one of the big teams you are always going to get speculation. It happens, that's football - I've been around long enough to ignore it!"
Papers: Reds in for Berba?

United step up Berba pursuit

United will hold further negotiations with Tottenham Hotspur today over the possible transfer of Dimitar Berbatov. Despite having had an opening offer in excess of £20 million rejected, United hope to reach an agreement with Tottenham for the Bulgaria forward. Ferguson and his players depart for a preseason tour to South Africa tomorrow and would like Berbatov to join them at some point on the trip.
Staff reporter, The Times

The Sun claims Spurs have warned United that it'll cost them £30million to sign Berbatov. Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright believes Berbatov can be United's new Cantona.

Meanwhile, United are planning to land Cristiano Ronaldo’s former team-mate, Sporting Lisbon coach Paulo Bento, as their new No 2, according to The Sun.

Sunderland boss Roy Keane is ready to turn to United forward Louis Saha after learning the champions are willing to let him go on a pay-as-you-play deal.
Paddy: Appoint from within

United legend Paddy Crerand says there’s no need to look outside Old Trafford for Carlos Queiroz’s successor.

Queiroz was unveiled as the new Portugal manager on Friday after spending the past four seasons as Sir Alex’s right-hand man. The press have already linked a number of coaches with the newly vacant position, including Michael Laudrup, Laurent Blanc and Roberto Martinez.

Speaking before United’s pre-season friendly against Aberdeen, Sir Alex insisted the club wouldn’t rush the decision. And Crerand, who briefly acted as Tommy Docherty’s number two in 1974, is confident those already at the club have what it takes to do the job.

“I’m not so sure somebody will come in,” he said on MUTV.

“Not so long ago, Sir Alex said he admired Bayern Munich and the way they have so many ex-players still involved at the club. I think the manager is trying to create a similar situation here at Manchester United.

“He already has Mick Phelan, Brian McClair and Jimmy Ryan on his coaching staff, who are all former players. Will he pick from that pool?

“Well, I think [current first team coach] Mick Phelan must have a great chance. He’s been involved with the squad for a long time now and knows the set-up.

“[Current skills coach] Rene Meulensteen is another candidate. I just wonder if Sir Alex will keep it in-house…”

Crerand was certain of one thing: he won’t be putting his hand up for the vacancy.

“You couldn’t pay me enough!” he laughed. “No thanks!”
Local honour for Ryan

Ryan Giggs has added yet another accolade to his already bulging collection after being awarded an honorary degree by the University of Salford.

United's record appearance-maker, who grew up in Swinton, was made a Master of Arts for his contribution to sport and his unstinting charity work. As an ambassador for UNICEF, he regularly campaigns for children who have been made vulnerable by HIV and AIDS. He was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2007 for his services to football.

Giggs was officially presented with his latest award at a ceremony at the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays on Tuesday.

"When I started my career as a professional footballer I didn’t envisage that one day I’d be made Master of Arts. So I’m really pleased to accept this degree," said the 33-year-old. "I grew up in Salford and it’s been a big part of my life for 30 years, so it’s great to be a part of Salford University now.”

Vice-Chancellor of the University of Salford, Professor Michael Harloe added: “We're delighted to present this degree to Ryan. It's not only his great achievements on the pitch which deserve recognition, but his valuable charity work with developing countries.”
Tigers keen to snap up Campbell

Hull City boss Phil Brown is hopeful of working with United striker Fraizer Campbell again after the youngster helped the Tigers gain promotion to English football's top flight.

The 20-year-old excelled during his seven-month loan spell at Hull last season, firing 15 goals in 32 starts.

Brown was hugely impressed by the Huddersfield-born frontman and remains optimistic a deal can be done to make Campbell a Tiger for the upcoming campaign.

"I spoke at length with Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of the season, having kept him up to speed with the progress Fraizer had made all season," revealed Brown.

"He was adamant that all his players would come back for pre-season training, but said when they come back from their pre-season trip to South Africa there is an opportunity to talk again.

"I fully trust Sir Alex's word on that and when they come back I will be putting a call in. There is always a possibility.

"There are one or two strikers out there we have earmarked as priority," he added. "But if Fraizer Campbell became available we would certainly be interested in taking him, either permanent or on loan."

Campbell played 29 minutes of United's 2-0 friendly victory at Aberdeen last weekend, coming on as a second half substitute for Ryan Giggs.
United: The Invincibles?

We know Sir Alex Ferguson's side are good – and getting better all the time – but can the Reds go unbeaten in the league during 2008/09?

Arsenal did it in 2003/04, so why can't United match the feat this time around? If you agree, Betfred, the club's betting partner, is offering handsome odds of 50/1.

It’s just one of several eye-catching markets on offer this summer.

Possibly the best bet sees bookmaker Fred Done offer punters odds of 7/4 that Sir Alex will beat all his old players who come to Old Trafford as managers. That means United need to register home wins against Manchester City (Mark Hughes), Blackburn Rovers (Paul Ince), Wigan Athletic (Steve Bruce) and Sunderland (Roy Keane).

We also think United doing the double over Liverpool again is good value at 7/2, while it’s 5/1 to hear Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan utter his famous “I'll love it” words during his post-match interview at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season.

You might also want to analyse the Reds’ record against the big guns in recent seasons to take advantage of Betfred’s special United v the rest of the top four market.

How many wins will Sir Alex register in the six meetings with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in 2008/09? It’s 16/1 for six out of six, 7/4 for four out of six and 12/1 for just a solitary victory.

All these markets and more are available at www.manutd.com/bet.
Dong gets Olympic nod

Dong Fangzhuo has been named in China's under-23 squad for this summer's Olympic Games in Beijing.

The United striker missed the last three months of the 2007/08 season with a knee injury sustained in a Reserves match against Blackburn in February.

But the 23-year-old proved he was back to full fitness by scoring in China's 4-0 warm-up victory over Malaysia last weekend.

He has now taken his place alongside Charlton's Zheng Zhi – one of three permitted over-age players – in the 22-man party for the tournament, which takes place from August 6-23.

Dong is likely to come up against Reds team-mate Anderson in Beijing as China have been drawn against Brazil, New Zealand and Belgium in Group C.

Should China progress to the latter stages of the tournament, Dong will miss the start of the first-team season but will return in time for the Reserves' new campaign, which gets underway on September 18.
返回列表